The Crimson Crier

The Crimson Crier

The Crimson Crier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Senior Reviews Grammy Award Winning R&B Album

Photo Credit: Free Domain

It has officially been a year since R&B artist, SZA, released her second studio album “SOS”. With 23 songs, “SOS” introduces a new part of SZA, allowing listeners to get a more in-depth version of the artist. She also collaborates with other artists such as Don Toliver, Phoebe Bridgers and Travis Scott.

The entire album is made beautifully, with each song highlighting the ups and downs of love and how complicated love can be. For example, “Notice Me” represents the crush stage or the first stage when it comes to love and “Snooze” represents the dream-like state people can have when they are in a relationship.

SZA focuses on not only her love for her significant other but her self-love as well. My personal favorite song, “Open Arms” highlights her loss of self-worth while being in the relationship, saying that she hates herself to make the person stay. In the song, SZA is saying that her self-esteem does not matter as long as she can be with this person.

In the songs, “Far” and “I Hate U”, SZA frees herself from the toxicity of the relationship and rediscovers her self-worth. Though she has to go through the withdrawals of love, she recognizes that she is valuable and that she is done with sacrificing her feelings and emotions for someone who will not fully appreciate her.

“SOS” is not only a great breakup album, it is also a great album to listen to for self-discovery and rediscovering one’s self after a traumatic relationship and going through the trials and tribulations that love can strip from a person.