Newspaper staff revamps journalism honor society

Staff members of The Crimson Crier, as well as other student publications, will soon be recognized in a newly-resurrected honor society.

“When I took over [the newspaper and yearbook] 12 years ago we got the official charter for Quill and Scroll, and we have been a member every year, but we just haven’t been very active. So I decided that with such good work that we’ve been doing that we need to be recognized for it in a different way,” journalism adviser Erin Coggins said.

Students who are involved in any print or online publication, such as newspaper, broadcasting or literary magazine, and have a 3.5 or higher GPA are eligible for membership in Quill and Scroll. The Crimson Crier Editor-in-Chief Riley Wallace is excited to meet high school students who share her interests and ambitions, as well as bringing publicity to the newspaper through the club.

“I’m really looking forward to being a part of a society that is bigger than just our school and taking part in something that really exemplifies both of my major interests. I’m really into both journalism and academic excellence, so being able to combine those into one club sounds great to me,” Wallace said.

Quill and Scroll provides further opportunity for the newspaper and yearbook staffs to compete for critiques and awards, as well as individual competitions. Senior members can compete for scholarship money. Coggins is excited to revamp the club to allow students these opportunities to be recognized on a new level.

“Showing people that there is a career past high school for something definitely does pique interest in it. Like the business clubs, they get a high turnout because people know and they think, ‘Yeah, that’s something I want to do after high school.’ So having a club that is dedicated to journalism will definitely be a talking point,” Wallace said.