Cut it out, student says

By Hannah Cox, Reporter

Teachers, substitutes and faculty cutting in lunch lines has been frustrating the student body. Twenty-six minutes in lunch and an average wait of 15 minutes in line leaves approximately 11 minutes to eat. The students that arrive late or get held back by a teacher have no choice but to get in the back of the line. Because of the long wait students run out of time to eat.

In the Code of Conduct, page 20, under Lunchroom rules, rule number two clearly states that “Students are not allowed to cut line for any reason.” Because of this rule, lunch ladies immediately send the student cutting to the back of the lunch line, yet when teachers approach the lunch line, the lunch ladies give them a big smile and give them free reign to cut. This is not fair to the student body.

Adults may argue that they need to wait for the students after lunch at the classroom, yet it does not take long to get back. This does not justify them cutting in line. The majority of teachers do not allow students to eat in their classrooms because of school policy, yet they can eat during their planning period. Teachers have several opportunities throughout the day to eat where students do not, so the argument that they need to be back at the classroom before the students is invalid due to their numerous opportunities to eat.

It may also be argued that their planning period is only used for work, that they do not have time to eat. Make time. Students have several homework assignments, several class assignments, studying and much more to do. We make time. Teachers can make time to eat, and as a result not cut in lunch lines.

Students are required to be at school by law, while teachers, substitutes and faculty are not. They choose to work at our school; therefore they should not be allowed to cut in lunch lines.