National History Day Club pioneered

Photo Credit: Beryl Kessio

By Victoria Lewis, Lifestyles Editor

Journalism teacher, Erin Coggins, plans to pilot a National History Day Club. There will be an interest meeting to discuss the details of the club next week.
The club will research someone in Alabama who fits the assigned National History Day Club category and complete a project. The project could be a presentation, webpage, speech or a research paper.
“This club focuses on one legend or legacy, and you have to really dig deep to present a good project, I don’t think history classes have that kind of time. You will learn a lot of in-depth information about one subject,” Coggins said.
Coggins sees this club as a good way to feed her passion for history and to give students a way to compete. There have been no history clubs like this one.
“There used to be history club, but they did not have a clear focus like this club does. This is a research driven club, and it’s a good way to learn research skills,” Coggins said.
Junior Erin Stender took Coggins’ Great Wars class last year and valued all the in-depth history learning the class had to offer. Stender believes Coggins is the best person to advise the club.
“She knows how to get students to work, and she is really competitive. She makes all her programs exemplary and serious contenders,” Stender said.
The club plans to meet monthly until it gets closer to competition, then the club will start meeting weekly or more frequently. State competition is in Montgomery. A win at state will advance the club to national competition in Washington DC in June.
“I am very excited about the possible trips. It’s one thing to travel to a place, but to travel to a place and learn about the history is a great experience. Traveling with the club would be a great experience,” Stender said.
Officer positions will be available in the club. Any history lover is welcome to join. Stender is excited about all the club has to offer.
“History repeats itself. I think everyone can value from learning about it. I think there are a lot of kids who love history and will love the club,” Stender said.
At the meeting the National History Day Club will lay out what the plans for the club are and what they will be doing throughout the year.
“We’re going to have a meeting around the third week of August. Any student can attend the meeting and those who are interested in completing the project will work on the project once a month,” Coggins said.