Student revisits school after being diagnosed

Photo courtesy of cinewsnow.com

By Hannah Cox, Reporter

It started with a headache. One headache became two; two headaches became four. The headaches became so frequent they required a doctors appointment. That doctors appointment changed everything.

Diagnosed with a brain tumor at age 16, junior Brittany Eakin has been forced to take a leave of absence from school due to this new, massive change in her life. She can no longer go to work because of the numerous doctors appointments, and her life is now full of new worries brought on by the tumor: grades, credits and graduation.

“My life has changed a lot. All of this happened so fast — I had brain surgery to remove a cancerous tumor that I didn’t know I had. I can’t go to school and it’s my junior year; I won’t be able to start my senior year in August [of] 2015 because I will be doing chemo,” Brittany said.

The cancerous tumor was removed via a five hour surgery which was followed by a visit to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital for chemo and radiation. Eakin is receiving support from all sides: family, friends and even school. Harvest Elementary School hosted a coin drive, “Bucks for Brittany,” where piggy banks were placed about the elementary school to help offset the medical costs.

“[Brittany] has such a long journey ahead of her, and we are all prepared to fight right along side her. Everyone’s thoughts and prayers are appreciated more than you know, we are so thankful,” sister Chelsey Eakin said in a Facebook post.

The previous Friday, Brittany decided to come back to school— accompanied by her older sister — to visit her teachers and peers. Joy filled her as she spoke to the people she left behind as she received treatment.

“I got to see everyone again before school got out for the summer,” Brittany said.

Having a cancerous tumor is difficult enough to deal with for the average adult, but for a teenager? An experience like this far surpasses the normal expectations of adolescence. Her advice to others struggling through the same ordeal:

“Stay strong and fight; be prepared to be stuck [with needles] a lot from doctors and nurses — lean on and talk to your family and friends,” Brittany said. “And buy some hats.”