Remembering the little people

Photo Credit: Ian Keel

A crowd of children watch as some of their friends are chosen to sit at Santa’s feet

By Noah Lombard, Web Editor

Remember when you were a kid, and you were whisked away to a mysterious place where giants clad in red and green apparel greeted you as music floated about the air? No, this magical place is not Santa’s Village. In fact, it may surprise you that it is actually Sparkman High School.
About 15 years ago, Sparkman became the host of a Christmas program for kindergartners. Kids from different elementary schools take a break from their strenuous coloring sheets and addition problems to come watch kids twice their size perform in a variety of ways. The performers wait on them at the door as the kids get off the bus, and greet them with friendly waves and faces aglow. Finally, after what seems to be hours pass, all the kids are inside on the bleachers.
Though seemingly restless, as children usually are, the kids were well behaved as they anxiously awaited the first performance.
First up was the choir. The children’s clamor was instantly halted as the first note reached their ears. Whether out of respect, or sheer awe at the rendition of “Carol of the bells,” the children were completely silent. Only after the choir began to exit did they break their oath of silence, cheering and clapping as if they were on the verge of some sort of social revolution. The choir actually performed several times throughout the program, each time producing the same hypnotic effect on the kids.
After the choir left, the cheerleaders came out and produced an explosion of amazement as the kids shouted and cheered with every flip. A similar reaction resulted from the dance team, although the children completely lost it upon hearing a song from the beloved “Frozen.” They danced and sang — girls and boys alike — although the boys seemed a bit more secretive about “letting it go”.
“I liked the Elsa song the most,” five-year-old Lexi said.
The kids enjoyed the portion of the Charlie Brown Christmas play that they saw, but it was not until Santa was announced that they reached their peak. They let out a roar that would terrify even Jack Frost himself as their jelly-bellied hero arrived. He called down the children one by one in the order that they appeared on his “nice list.” Those who were lucky enough to be chosen received the chance to sit at Saint Nick’s feet as he read “The Night Before Christmas.”
Once the program was said and done, the children were allowed to leave, but not before getting a candy cane.
“[My favorite candy is] candy canes,” five-and-a-half-year-old Katie said.
As they walked out the door, once again dawning their fuzzy hats and coats that were two sizes too big, they were serenaded by the band with Christmas classics that are sure to warm any heart.