College Students Discuss Their Decision To Choose HBCUs

February 14, 2022

Before the abolishment of slavery, receiving an education was difficult not only for enslaved Black people but freed as well. Anti-literacy laws gave control to slave owners and anti-abolitionists. In some states freed slaves were able to attend white institutions, but even then they still faced discrimination.

Historically black universities and colleges, also known as HBCUs, were created to provide education for Black people who were not welcomed at white institutions. College student Sarah Chase finds this an important factor in choosing a college.

“HBCUs carry a multitude of history. They were created for Black people by Black people,” Chase said. “I think it is the fact that knowing our ancestors wanted us to succeed in academics, so they gave us a place that would let us do just that. That is what makes it so important.”

— Sarah Chase

Sarah Chase chose an HBCU after seeing the impact of the Black Lives Movement.

Chase currently attends Calhoun Community College, but will enter Jackson State in the fall. Although she originally was not interested in Jackson State, they provided a scholarship that piqued her interest.

“My dad’s friend is actually a Jackson alum,” Chase said. “After visiting their campus, participating in their homecoming and seeing their Divine Nine row, I could imagine myself being there and having an amazing experience.”

Chase’s decision to attend an HBCU came after the 2020 Black Lives Matter. The riots moved something in Chase, especially when she witnessed her father crying while watching the live news broadcast.

“I knew that I needed to be around a group of people who also believed that my life mattered and vice versa. There is so much beauty in Black excellence and being a place where there is so much of it, I know is something magical,” Chase said. “I cannot wait to be surrounded by Black people who want to succeed in whatever their career choice is and who work hard to get there.”

Not only do HBCUs offer a sense of community, but they can also bring a sense of relief for Black people. There is no worry about race or racial challenges in the classroom or on campus. Going off to college can be an overwhelming experience and being in a welcoming environment is crucial for new students.

“In simple terms, it’s Black people just trying to get an education. It is a community. It is family. It is friendship. It is the soul. It is love. It brings about togetherness in the Black community,” Cole said. “There is security and comfort knowing that I attend a University that cares about me and my people.”

Robyn Cole, a legacy at A&M has found that going to an HBCU has given her that sense of community. This school is important to her family. Cole’s great grandmother and father have attended the A&M and both her parents thought it was the best decision for her.

“I decided to go to A&M simply because it is my home away from home. Even though I moved out of the house, it does not feel like I’ve moved away from home,” Cole said. “I’ve always known that I wanted to attend an HBCU.”

According to The Roots, HBCUs are having their moment. Applications have increased since the 2020 protests and the importance of HBCUs have been reiterated. HBCU alumni are excited about the resurgence of enrollment.

“I think it’s outstanding and it’s long overdue because I think that students, regardless of ethnicity, should explore the diversity that is in the HBCU” HBCU graduate Tracy Gholston-McCall said.

There has been a rise in student athletes choosing HBCUs instead of larger universities. The power five conferences are looking to partake in their experience at the HBCUs and have been recruiting and soliciting former professional athletes. Coaches such as Eddie George and Deion Sanders are now head coaches for these HBCUs.

Chase admires coaches like Sanders who could have signed multi-million contracts at colleges besides HBCUs.

“It would be an honor to go to a school where Black people are giving back to their schools,” Chase said. “A lot of Black coaches and players go to PWI’s, so attending a school that has been shown love by its people would make me happy.”

Chase cannot wait to be surrounded by Black people who want to succeed in their career choice and who worked hard to get there. She finds that there is beauty in being in a place with so much Black excellence.

“It’s not just the culture that I am excited about when attending an HBCU, but also the connection that each Black person has with another,” Chase said. “Even though we all have different backgrounds, we all know the amazing feeling of seeing people who look just like you accomplish so much.”