Photo Credit: Free Domain Image

Black Museums Serve As A Cornerstone Of African American History

February 14, 2022

Black history is an important part of American history and states all over the country have multiple institutions to share knowledge about the history of the people who built america.  Whether they are funded by the professional government or community based, they are worth a visit or two.

The National Museum of African American Music: This museum opened in early 2021 in Nashville, Tennessee, and is dedicated to all the history regarding African-American music culture and genres. It is important to learn about because African American music is the backbone of most of the mainstream music we hear on the radio.

The Legacy Museum and The National Memorial for Peace and Justice: Opened in 2018 by the Equal Justice Initiative in Montgomery, Alabama. The museum is dedicated to all things black history, including information about the slave trade and lynching. The memorial is a beautiful place dedicated to bringing light to all the people taken away by lynchings. 

National Civil Rights Museum: Opened in 1991 in Memphis, Tennessee, it is located in the Lorraine Motel, the site where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. This museum includes various statues of important figures and moments in history. It is definitely worth a visit as it shows great representation of the civil rights movement.  

The National Voting Rights Museum And institute: Opened in 1993 in Selma, Alabama. It is located right off of the Edmund Pettus bridge where the famous ‘Bloody Sunday’ march took place. The museum features the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and shares vigorous information about all three of the marches that elevated the political standpoint of the Civil Rights Movement.

National Underground Railroad Freedom Center: Opened in 2004 in Cincinnati, Ohio, this museum is dedicated to all information about the Underground Railroad. It includes numerous exhibits including videos that share the information. They also offer the chance to roleplay as a slave going through the Underground Railroad to exprience the hardships and dangers of escaping during that time.

Hopefully reading this list will give you ideas for your next trip out of town.