Vaccine Proves Effective In Spread Of Virus

September 22, 2021

Delta is here and it looks like it could stick around for a while. With the rise of new variants, it seems every week the fight against COVID grows harder every day. 

Photo Credit: Olivia Lake

The push for vaccines has been pushed by all the major news networks, politicians and everyone in between. Only 57 % of the total U.S. population is vaccinated; while these numbers are rising steadily it is not increasing at the rates they should. The vaccine curve is flattening out when it should be going up much faster than it should. The thing is it is not rising as it should and this is due to the level of vaccine misinformation and vaccine hesitancy that has spread and gripped the minds of many Americans. The government has not yet mandated the vaccines for COVID yet but if the numbers do not continue to rise as they should and with the FDA recently approving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine this reality of the government mandating the vaccine could be a real reality.  

Getting the vaccine is a crucial key to ending this pandemic and getting us back to the true “Normal”. Many complain that there are more ways to help end COVID through Antibody testing and things of that nature, and while those studies should still be looked at and researched more the vaccines are something we have run that are ready and available to us all right now. The more time we sit around and wait for new studies and research for other non-vaccine alternatives, the more Americans continue to die and get sick, and it will continue unless we all stop playing politics with science and health. If we continue to go down this road our death and sickness tolls will continue to rise. It is our duty as Americans to do the right thing for our country and get the vaccines. Even though this should be our duty as Americans there are still a large majority of vaccine skeptics out there. 

There are many reasons why you should get the vaccine, not only is it safe but it is also effective at protecting you and others from COVID. Now the vaccine does not stop you from getting COVID but it can lessen your symptoms and shorten the time at which you have the disease. Getting the vaccine helps all of us in some way, that is why it is a key and important part of getting the U.S. back to our normal life pre- COVID. Even though we will probably never achieve what we want we can try and get it as close to what we once knew. 

This vaccine should not be a political thing, it should be an issue of keeping the nation safe during this tumultuous time that we live in. If more of us get the vaccine the quicker we will get back to a more normal life. So getting the vaccine is beneficial to all of us and to yourself, to keep us safe and to make the country better.