The+medical+academy+offers+students+a+chance+to+learn+the+basics+for+technical+jobs.+

Photo Credit: Isabel Pollard

The medical academy offers students a chance to learn the basics for technical jobs.

February Focuses on Technical, Trade Jobs

The month of February is packed with various awareness campaigns. One of those is promoting Technical Careers and Trade jobs. These are careers that require little to no training and are in high demand.

The advantages of trade jobs are that they are cheaper to get into than jobs that require college degrees. When you go to college, especially with no plan for a job that pays enough, you have to pay $10,000 at least plus room and board which can more than double that cost per year and you become a debt slave to the banks or government. On the other hand, trade schools cost between $5,000- $15,000 total and only lasts at most a little over a year. Just to be clear, making the government pay for everyone’s college and their debt will hurt those who didn’t go to college, like the people who went to trade schools and is just a promise to get college-educated young people to vote for them.

One of these careers is becoming a plumber. Getting into it can cost between $800- $1,000 for an online training program, $1,250- $3,000 for a trade school, or $3,000- $23,000 for an associate degree and an apprenticeship costs $0- $1,000 and lasts 4- 5 years. They make $40,000 per year on the low end and $75,000 per year on the high end, for an average of $50,000 per year. There is little to no risk of plumbers being outsourced or eliminated. Working as a plumber allows you to not sit behind a desk all day; you get to go out, interact with your community, and stay in shape all while during your job.

Another is an electrician. A certificate from a trade school costs around $5,000 to $10,000 and an associate’s degree from a community college costs between $10,000 to $12,000. An apprenticeship costs between $250 to $1,420 per year but many are paid which can offset some or all of the costs. They make between $35,000 to $70,000 per year. As an electrician you also have job security, you can easily start your own company and be your own boss, and is a well-respected job.

Car mechanics is a third trade job you can take. An automotive technology certificate program’s cost is between $6,000 to $20,000. Online auto mechanic training programs cost between $750 to $1,000. You can expect to make around $30,000 starting out, the median salary is around $40,000 and the top mechanics can make into the six figures. Mechanics can be ready to work with just two years of training, have a variety in the work they do each day and can have the satisfaction of figuring out what is wrong with the car and how to fix it.

These are just a few of the careers one can take without going into debt and making a lot of money relatively quickly. Other careers are HVAC technician, home inspector, construction worker and landscape designer to name a few. Those careers allow people to own their own business, work with their hands, have job security and stay away from working at a desk from 9 to 5 every weekday for the rest of their life.