Special Olympics set for October

Sophomore+Libby+Reid+manning+a+station+at+the+Special+Olympics.+

Sophomore Libby Reid manning a station at the Special Olympics.

By Emily Baucum, Reporter

When fall comes around and routine is setting in for the student body, it is only heating up for Junior Civitan members and students with disabilities.
On Tuesday, Oct 21 Junior Civitan will attend The Special Olympics, a sporting competition for athletes with intellectual disabilities to come and compete with each other, have a good time and meet new friends.
“The past two years that I have gone with our Civitan kids it has been students from other schools. So it’s not like they just bring students from our school,” Sponsor Ben Stevenson said.
At this event Junior Civitan members have booths open with all kinds of activities. A few examples of these activities are: face painting, cornhole, hula hooping, karaoke and even a little bit of dancing. Other students can be a buddy with one of the disabled for the day.
“One or two of our club members will pair up with an athlete and they will follow them everywhere throughout the day and encourage them and tell them good job whenever they finish,” Stevenson said.
Special Olympics benefits everyone who attends in more ways than they can explain. Some barely notice these benefits and some are aware before they leave.
“It shows me that I need to be more thankful for what I have and I really do like going out and helping others. It really makes a difference going out and supporting these kids. You know they’re having fun by the smiles on their faces,” senior Ryan Collum said.
Though the opportunity has passed for this year, students interested are encouraged to join Junior Civitan and take part in activities like this throughout the next school year.