Sparkman cheer squad wows crowd at pep rally

First pep rally alludes to exciting season

The first pep rally of the football season was definitely one to remember. With all of the classes participating with enthusiasm, the event was the best way to start the season.

The theme of the pep rally was the Olympics, so everyone had to wear red, white and blue. Most everyone was sporting these patriotic colors proudly. The students who did not dress up were either confused on what color to wear or just did not want to participate.

“It kind of upsets me when some people want to break Sparkman traditions or don’t show school spirit,” sophomore Shelby Lopez said.

Senior class shows spirit most would be proud of

There were many events planned that included people from every grade. Both the cheer and dance team performed and got everybody excited for the next events.  The teachers had a pie eating contest which Coach Stevenson won. Students from each grade were placed on a team and had a relay race. The teams were neck and neck for most of the race but in the end, the seniors took home the gold.

“The relay race was so funny because you had people shaking ping pong balls out of tissue boxes, you had people flipping water bottles and you had people picking up plungers off the ground and moving them across the floor,” Senior class president Libby Reid said. “When the teachers were doing the pie eating contest, just watching them goof off on a school day really help[ed] the students relax.”

Most of the students agree this was one of the best pep rallies they’ve had so far. Sometimes they may get a little out of hand but the students always put themselves in check. The students hope to have many more pep rallies like this and make them even better.
“The student body as a whole this year came together to make this the best pep rally in Sparkman history. We tried our hardest to unite the classes for one common goal … defeating the Eagles’ tonight,” Junior class vice president Natalie Craney said.