Sparkman family comes together with compassion for blood drive

After her third child was born, instead of getting to hold the newborn baby, French teacher Veronica Williams was rushed into surgery. She received six pints of blood from six people and those six people, whom she never met, saved her life that day.

People are rushed into the emergency room daily needing blood to save their lives. The Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) have organized the annual spring blood drive to give students the opportunity to save lives like Williams.

“If those people had not donated blood, I would not have made it that day. One person’s donation can make a huge impact,” Williams said.

For Williams, donated blood made a huge difference. According to the Red Cross, one pint of blood can save up to three lives. A regular project, the FCCLA and the Red Cross have been sponsoring a blood drive in tandem since 1998.

“One of the biggest impacts we have had was during the April 27 tornadoes. We had just completed our blood drive a week before that. The blood we donated saved multiple lives and it was very helpful. We were all excited because we knew exactly where that blood went,” FCCLA sponsor Caroline Webster said.

For students 16-years-old and younger, a permission slip is needed to donate and the weight requirement is at least 110 lbs. Anyone under the required weight risks becoming lightheaded if they give blood.

“A pint is a large volume of blood to give, so the students are supposed to eat a really good breakfast [or lunch before giving blood]. Then they get a snack, [like] a juice or a 7-Up and then they will get crackers or cookies,” Webster said. “It is not painful at all. Just do not watch the needle go in and make sure you eat adequately. Drink a lot of water. Doing so will make your veins easier to find,” Webster said.

FCCLA has started taking sign-ups but the drive itself is on April 13. It starts at 8:45 a.m. and ends at 2:45 p.m.

“The students signed up on stage for what time they want to come and we will have runners to go get them from class. They will bring them to go through the process and then they will go back to class,” Webster said.

About 100 students have signed up and FCCLA is hoping to get at least 50 more. The sponsors hope that more students will donate and help the community.

“I think it is just a great experience for the students because when they understand what they are doing and why they are doing it, it is a big impact for their age group,” FCCLA sponsor Mishaella Ryans said.