Lower gas prices result in higher spirits

Photo Credit: Savannah Bullard

With gas prices down, students rejoice as their cars can run without breaking the bank.

By Savannah Bullard, News Editor

One of the biggest issues for teen drivers is the new responsibility of maintaining and taking care of their own cars. And with gas prices peaking at over $3.50 per gallon last summer, students are more excited than ever to take a joyride without emptying their wallets.
Gas prices have now dropped to an average of $1.98 per gallon in Alabama, and they are not finished lowering yet. Oil prices are steadily decreasing due to a newfound increase in supply around the world. With no expected natural disasters and an even weather blend in the winter, gas prices are assured to stay at a blissful low.
Junior Hannah Curns drives a 2014 Kia Forte, which gets about 20 mpg. And with a paycheck of approximately $8 per hour for babysitting, Curns still cringes when she goes to the pump. However the new lowered prices have proven to be extremely beneficial.
“I can make trips to other places that I would usually skip going to because I know I can afford to fill [my car] back up,” Curns said. “I really like the lowered gas prices because driving to the hospital two times a week for Intern uses up so much gas.”
While most students drive small sedans with comfortably average gas mileages, there are a handful of unfortunate drivers who have been known to spend up to $80 at the pump. Junior Rebecca Emery, who drove a 2012 Chevrolet for two years, says she is ecstatic about being able to fill her truck up and have money to spare.
“I love [having extra spending money] so much. It makes me feel like a kid in a candy store,” Emery said.
Emery, who works as a waitress at Mildred’s Restaurant in Ardmore, makes $30 per day, including tips. With a biweekly paycheck that seldom breaks $100, Emery enjoys the newfound opportunity to treat herself instead of her truck.
“I spend this money on whatever I want,” Emery said. “Let’s please keep the gas prices this low.”