‘Parking Lot Trio’ due to make music at lunch

Tylor Harris (Left), Slade Hogan (Center) and Joe Rury (right) perform some of their favorite Christmas songs.

By Savannah Bullard, News Editor

Lunch time is getting revamped on Monday. A trio of musicians plans to take over the usual hungry chatter and spread a little holiday cheer.
Cafeteria Manager Tammy Hudson has requested for junior Tylor Harris to perform Christmas songs on the stage during lunches in order to bring a festive mood to finals week. Despite his surprise and excitement, Harris was ultimately touched by the offer.
“I just thought of how cool it was that she asked me. We have some fantastic faculty and staff at our school that take interest and care about us, and Mrs. Hudson is a prime example of that,” Harris said.
Hudson has known Harris since he was in middle school and says his talents have not gone unnoticed. Hudson wanted to add a special treat for her students in order to kick off the holiday season.
“I was leaving school one day and I saw trunks up [in the parking lot] and [Harris and his friends] were all out there playing,” Hudson said. “I know that [Harris] has been playing music for a long time and I’m looking forward to it.”
Harris has recruited two of his closest friends who will be performing with him. Senior Slade Hogan, one-third of the trio, says that he is honored to be working among “such talented musicians.”
“Tylor is really talented. I am really looking forward to getting out of my third block for the day, but I think it will end up being really good,” Hogan said.
Junior Joe Rury, a longtime friend of Harris, is looking forward to getting into the Christmas spirit and—most importantly—making Hudson proud.
“We’ve been practicing a lot and we are looking forward to making good music and making people happy. But we are mostly doing this to see Mrs. Tammy smile,” Rury said.
The songs Harris and his friends have been working on originate from the set list they plan to use when they go Christmas caroling. Students will be able to enjoy selections such as “Carol of the Bells,” “Little Drummer Boy” and “Sleigh Ride.” With finals week approaching, however, practice time has been limited.
“Everyone’s schedules have been crazy lately, with the semester winding down. And as a result, it has been somewhat of an obstacle finding time to pull this together in a seamless fashion,” Harris said. “But we will be more than ready.”
While mistakes are a general thing to be feared among performers, Hogan is still pumped about bringing more festive joy to lunch.
“It should be really fun making good music and making people happy,” Hogan said. “I think we’re mostly going to enjoy getting people in the spirit of Christmas.”