New JROTC instructor shows promise

Photo Credit: Ian Keel

By Zachary LeQuieu, Reporter

LT. Col. Lloyd M. Nathan Sr. is the new senior JROTC instructor making him the fourth instructor in 13 years.
After Maj. Kevin James resigned last school year, 1St Sgt. Walter Jones and Sgt. 1st Class Gwendolyn Spears were designated to interview conducts for the new instructor. After careful consideration they chose Nathan.
“I want to continue to motivate the cadets to compete and excel at a high level and to encourage each individual to strive to be the best that they can be,” Nathan said.
Nathan has taken over the Raider Team, and plans to get them physically and mentally fit. From what Spears has seen, he “has awesome ideas.” She believes he set the bar to the highest level for his cadets.
“I am so excited for Nathan’s future at this program because of his background and knowledge. He is going to be an all-around mentor; not just for the cadets, but for myself too,” Spears said.
According to junior Ethan Turbyfill, Nathan is straight to the point but has a sense of humor. Turbyfill also likes his discipline.
“He does a very good job, It is hard to stay motivated doing book work but he keeps us entertained and helps us learn. I like his oral presentation. He keeps the class focused on the task at hand. I hope he will get seniors scholarships and do his best to get raiders trophies,” Turbyfill said.
In his 26 years on military training, Nathan has led soldiers at various levels throughout his military career. He has also been deployed in support in military operations of many parts of the world.
“I am planning to teach my students how to strive and build on their strengths and improve their weaknesses to become a more confident and a complete people,” Nathan said.