Photo Credit: Saylor Cuzzort

Top 10: Movies Of The Year

1.Nope directed by Jordan Peele

• Jordan Peele’s Nope starring KeKe Palmer and Daniel Kaluuya is a definite Oscar contender. This phenomenon can fall under many categories like horror, comedy, western or even science fiction. The movie takes place in California on a ranch where a brother and sister come across what they believe is a UFO. Watch this movie in theaters, but do not watch it alone. 

2. The Batman

• The Batman was definitely a movie everyone was excited for. With star Robert Pattinson as Batman and Zoe Kravitz playing Cat Woman the picture won ACCEC’s favorite movie and Pattinson won favorite actor. In the movie Batman faces an unknown evil, but as the action packed thriller continues the clues lead him back home and closer to finding out who is behind all the destruction and horror in Gotham City.               

3. Top Gun Maverick

• Top Gun has been a much awaited film starring actor Tom Cruise, who also starred in the original Top Gun in 1986, with Miles Teller as a guest star. With these two studs attacking old and new viewers the movie was an award winning hit.

4. Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness

• Any movie from Marvel is a good movie and we all know it and they met the standard once again with Doctor Strange. When we first meet Doctor Strange in the first movie in 2016 he is struggling, but he soon learns he has a higher calling and a deputy to the universe. Seeing his character develop has been an amazing journey that continues in this phenomenon. 

5. Elvis 

• Austin Butler stars as Elvis in this legendary film that portrays Elvis’ life through his sometimes not so glorious fame. Viewers, particularly female viewers, went crazy for this film and even more so for Butler, as he committed to the role so well. When the movie was in the making it caught the attention of Priscilla Presley, Elvis’ wife, and she loved the film and how everything came together in the end. 

6. Minions Rise of Gru

• Minions and Despicable Me have been Illumination favorites for many since the first movie Despicable Me came out in 2010 and the first Minions movie in 2015. Fans were so excited for the premiere of this movie that they dressed up in suits to see the film. The focus of this movie is about how Gru and the Minions become the greatest villains of all time. 

7. The Black Phone

• The Black Phone is a horror directed by Scott Derrickson. In the film, a boy is held by a masked killer in a basement where he discovers a disconnected phone on the wall that he can hear the previous victims’ voices in. The voices try to help him so that he does not end up like they did. 

8. Thor Love and Thunder

• This Marvel film was one that fans did not expect to be a good movie but it was. It was heartwarming and gives us much more insight on Thor and what he does after the Avengers saved the world. 

9. Black Panther Wakanda Forever 

• Although Black Panther Wakanda Forever has not been released yet, fans are looking forward to seeing how the story line will continue without the legend, Chadwick Boseman. The movie will be released Nov. 11, 2022. Fans are already planning wardrobe and thinking of ways to pay tribute to the movie and all of the hard work put into it. 

10. Avatar: Way of the Water 

• Avatar is another film that has not been released yet, but when the first movie came out in 2009 it was an automatic sensation. With a new one on the way this December, we expect nothing less than greatness. 

Honorable Mentions: 

For the honorable mention I chose Scream 5. This movie is a continuum of the Scream franchise that fans were looking forward to. Scream is one of the best scary movie franchises of all time but this latest movie only received 3.4 stars, so the expectations were not met.