New+offensive+coordinator+Spencer+Smith+jumps+with+excitement+as+he+greets+football+player+Briace++McBeth.+

Photo Credit: Photo Courtesy of Shuttleman Photography

New offensive coordinator Spencer Smith jumps with excitement as he greets football player Briace McBeth.

New Offensive Coordinator Takes Charge

New season, new strategies and new objectives. This year, the football team’s offensive players will be led by Spencer Smith, the newly appointed offensive coordinator.

“The environment at Sparkman is very good, they are supported by the admin and parents. All of the coaches get along very well and work hard together to pursue their job,” Smith said.

Coaches and players have a different type of relationship. Last season for the Senators was challenging, But Smith hopes to change the mindset of the players. He says settling for less is not an option.

“Last year was not the best year so coming into this year trying to change the mind set has been a challenge,” Smith said. “The players are teachable, they do a good job, they listen, they come to the film meetings. They have been a lot of fun to get to know and coach.”

Smith feels that there has to be confidence in both his own abilities as well as the players. Smith introduced a new playbook this season, focusing on a combination of runs and passes.  The offense capitalized on these new plays in their win against Hazel Green,  77-9, breaking two school records and finishing with 441 yards on offense.

“It was a good feeling to get the opportunity to lead the offense, I’m just mostly thankful and hope I can make the players and coach White proud,” Smith said. “ I have been on the sideline as well as a position coach but this is my first time being an offensive coordinator.”

This is not Smith’s first time working with the team. He hopes to not only build relationships and have fun with the players, but build them up to succeed and to watch them become the players and young men he knows they all can become.  

“Sparkman is my favorite place I have worked at because of the community and the willingness of the kids to work hard and do what we ask them to do,” Smith said. “I’m really excited about the upcoming season. I think we’re gonna have a good team, I think we have a lot of potential to make everybody proud.”

Not only does Smith enjoy the X’s and O’s, he feels to be a good coach is to establish a relationship with the players as well as putting in hard work. 

“My favorite part of coaching is getting to know the kids and building relationships. Watching them succeed makes all the stressing and late nights with no sleep worth it,” Smith said.