Scott+Lowe

Scott Lowe

Student Expresses Passion for Cross Country

The dreaded mile, one of the requirements to graduate P.E.  Something students all across the globe struggle with day to day.  The methodical process of running in circles seems to be a timeless struggle for students of all ages, but for senior Omar Myers running comes easily for him. 

Myers began running cross country 5 years ago. In the past year, Myers began being even more involved in the sport. At meets, he goes not only to pursue his passion, but also to support his teammates.  

“Last year was when I really started getting into it and started working hard at it,” Myers said. “I thought that I could maybe do this and actually have fun doing this and compete as well.”

On Sept 7, 2019 Myers set a new 5k record for the cross country team. He beat this record at Chickasaw Trails Invitational in Oakville, Al. The new time he set was 16:26.66. This time is 2 seconds faster than the previous record, set by Jacob Russell in 2016.

“It felt great just starting in 8th grade looking at people that came before me and then being able to break the record which was just amazing,” Myers said.

To some people cross country seems like a dreadful sport with a never ending finish line, but for Myers this sport has consumed his life and become his whole world. However Myers has taken it to the extreme, everyday, he runs four miles in the morning and runs again after school. Every week, Myers runs approximately 40 miles a week.

“My goals for this year is to make All State and to hopefully get some scholarship offers out of it,” Myers said.

Myers looks up to multiple people when it comes to running but his biggest inspiration is his coach, Coach Austin.  He ran cross country in high school and looks up to how he ran fast miles.  

“My biggest supporters would honestly be my teammates because they are always there and they are always hyping me up and getting me ready [for a game],” Myers said.