Runners go to state despite lack of equipment

Runners+go+to+state+despite+lack+of+equipment+

By Nick Arnold, Layout Editor

All of the major sports have a specific place where they practice for their games, but the lesser-known, seemingly unpopular sports, such as track and field, are forced to use the minimal amount of equipment and sub-par areas.

Track has to deal with this problem by using borrowed materials and space to practice. Even with the lack of equipment, the team is still able to compete with other 7A schools.

“We have to go to other schools because we don’t have all of the equipment that is needed. If we did we would be able to compete with all of the big track schools,” assistant coach of the track team Charlie Gover said.

Although they do not have all of the necessary equipment, 18 athletes qualified for the state finals in Gulf Shores.

“We utilize the facilities we have. We practice running by using the paved track and the grass. We have area for throwing for shot put and discus, but we only have one set of hurdles. We have a long jump [still] being built, so when students compete, it is their first time jumping,” head coach of the track team Nekeysha Jones.

The team tries to reach the level of the big schools and succeeds by getting more and more people to state each year, with freshman Lauryn Hall winning a third place medal.

“It is very hard and strenuous because we don’t have the necessary equipment. If you don’t have it, it is very stressful on your body and on your mind because you don’t what the other kids have and sometimes that can be very discouraging,” junior Trey Gideon said.