Sophomores claim that PLAN is unnecessary

By Savannah Bullard, News Editor

As an annual tradition practiced since second grade, standardized testing made another appearance last week. The PLAN test, an ACT preparation test, is required of all sophomores. However, even though he says it is informative, sophomore Jacob Daugherty found the test a waste of time.
“The PLAN is supposed to prepare you for the ACT. Since I already took [the ACT] it was kind of pointless for me to take [the PLAN], but it is good for other people who haven’t taken the ACT yet,” Daugherty said.
Daugherty took the ACT in the spring of 2014. His score, a 24, was not earned with the help of preliminary tests or guides. Daugherty says that the PLAN test was fairly easy, but the time limitations were stressful compared to the limitations of the ACT.
“I don’t think that the PLAN is a bad thing. It really does get you ready for the ACT, especially when it comes to managing time,” Daugherty said.
Sophomore Austin Bullard plans to attend the police academy when he graduates, rather than go to a four-year university. With college not being a priority, Bullard believes that his participation in the PLAN test was unnecessary.
“I didn’t like having to sit through a three-hour test that I don’t even need to take. The test should be required for people who want to take the ACT, not all of us,” Bullard said.
However, even though he does not plan on going to a formal college, Bullard appreciates the information he will be given.
“It’s always good to have a backup plan. If I leave the police academy and go to school instead, my scores will probably be useful,” Bullard said.