Photo Credit: Olivia Lake

New Year, New Goals

New year, new me. People declare this every year and every year there is no change. They try to be this new person for the first month of the year, some don’t even make it that far, then slowly but surely they stay the same person and nothing changes. New year’s resolutions are crap. I understand trying to be a better person, become more consistent with something, attempting to make a change in your daily life or routine, but just make realistic achievable goals and stick to them. Everyone has goals they want to accomplish. I just urge you to be real with yourself when setting a goal. 

There is always so much talk about “I want to lose weight” which is the biggest and most popular resolution ever, yet it’s always talked about. When will people actually take the steps necessary to make the resolutions come true? The main problems with setting resolutions are lack of time, resources, and motivation. If you base your goals on your motivation and how you feel and when you want to do certain things nothing will be accomplished. A study done by Discover Happy Habits shows that only 12% of people follow through with their resolutions and report back that they accomplished their goal set at the beginning of the year. Be part of the 12%.

A resolution is a firm decision to do or not to do something. My coach always says to my team, “Can you continue to commit and stay true to what you said you would do long after the mood you set it in has left?: When it comes to resolutions, it is good to know why you have a goal. You want to accomplish your new year’s resolution, write down your goals and the feelings you have when said goals come to you. Also write the steps you need to take to achieve that goal. Doing this helps you be consistent. If at any time you feel lazy or you feel like you don’t want to achieve that goal any more, refer to the paper or wherever you wrote it down and read it and it will help you remember why you even set that goal in the first place. A resolution is a firm decision to do or not to do something, so, when you set your resolution and set out to accomplish it, stay firm in your decision.