Photo Credit: Olivia Lake

Unusual Weather Strikes the Area, Bringing Temperature Abnormality and Storms

December temperatures are decreasing to lower rates compared to this fall. As temperatures drop, the community is encouraged to stay inside and wear layers against the cold. Communities have described this weather as unusual as temperatures constantly change.

In December 2022 Alabama experienced severe freezing temperatures reaching eight degrees fahrenheit. With frost and small inches of snow and iced roads, businesses close as harsh temperatures come in.

With Christmas being days away, problems spiked for people traveling during the holiday season.  Airports were forced to cancel flights because of the cold weather, and driving had become dangerous in some areas, as some had experienced rain the day before the temperatures dropped. Light snow even fell in Toney and Harvest and proceeded to stick for a while after sundown. 

With the new year coming in, January brings warmer temperatures. The month was described as the “Warmest start to January on record”. From freezing temperatures during the Christmas season to one of the warmest new year, Alabama has experienced abnormal weather during the winter season.

Alongside the two events, there might as well be another to join up. Just a couple of weeks ago, a cold front mixed with the warm weather and delivered severe weather across multiple states. As of Jan. fifth, 23 confirmed tornadoes were reported during the two day event, eight being across Alabama. Multiple forms of damage were reported, power line damage and fallen trees looking to be the most common.

Once the storm had passed, it allowed other damages to be found and recorded. For instance, a tornado had caused damage to the Arkansas High School after crossing the football field, a house lost its roof while a tree fell on another in Georgia, and a building had collapsed in South Carolina, happening within two days of the storm wave.

Whenever unusually warm weather occurs during a time like this, it will become cold eventually and always bring storms like this. A similar thing occurred last year as well, where it got very warm on New Year’s Day and brought severe weather the same night, bringing numerous tornadoes and lightning storms. On a better note, at least it can be expected when the temperatures are abnormal, allowing time to prepare for when the temperatures shift back to normal.

One moving to Alabama, must be accustomed to abnormal weather, since it tends to be quite repetitive throughout the year. It marks what is unique about the state, as the weather roulette continues down the line of time.