Photo Credit: Olivia Lake

Junior Shares Tips For Upcoming ACT Testing

It’s that time of the year again when all juniors and seniors are stressing about the ACT and how to prepare for it. Lucky for you, I have some tips and tricks for preparing for the act.

First you will want to start off by taking a practice test. After taking that practice test you should look at the results and look for the areas that you scored the lowest in. Those are the topics you are going to want to work on the most. You will want to look for ACT studying classes which are offered at colleges, high schools, churches and more places. 

You’ll need to take some time out of your day to study so create a planner to organize your day and make sure you leave some time for ACT study.

Now you must remember that the ACT is timed so you’d have to practice answering questions while being timed. You can start off by giving yourself more time to answer the questions and decrease that amount of time as you improve. You’ll want to learn to use your time effectively because some of us are fast test takers as some others are not.

You will need to practice reading content faster for this test because you will be timed and there will be texts that you’ll have to read in a timely manner.

You can find study resources like books or websites. Some websites you can use is Official ACT Practice and ACT up. Some books you can use are The Official ACT Prep Guide 2021-2022, ACT Prep Black Book and Manhattan Prep.

It is also helpful to learn the instructions for the test so that you know exactly what you’re walking into on the day of the test. 

It is also recommended that you learn and understand the sections of the test so you know what the test will be like and what kind of questions there will be. The English, math, reading and science test will take  2 hours and 55 minutes to complete. Fortunately you will be given breaks in between so technically you will be testing for 3 hours.The English section will consist of 75 questions and you’ll be given 45 minutes to complete. For mathematics it will give you 60 minutes to complete 60 questions. Both Science and Reading will have 40 questions with 35 minutes to complete them. Lastly, you’ll have a writing prompt with 40 minutes to complete.

Before the day of your test you will need something to be stress free. Also don’t forget to get a good night’s rest. On the day of the test make sure you come prepared by bringing 2 pencils, approved calculator and erasers.

Please take these tips for the ACT seriously and good luck on it for those who decide to take it.