Photo Credit: Art by Olivia Lake

Monkeypox Virus Rates Increasing in U.S.

In May of 2022 a case of Monkeypox was confirmed in the United Kingdom. Ever since,  there have been a couple thousand cases around the world. As of now there have been more than 25,000 cases world wide and 2,891 of those cases have been reported in 43 states in the U.S from May 17-July 22.  The international community is trying to combat the spread of this disease to prevent what happened around two years ago. On Aug 9, Monkeypox was declared a national emergency in the U.S. 

Monkeypox is an extremely rare disease with a 3-6% fatality rate. The disease can spread through both animals and humans through most forms of interaction such as close contact, sexual relations, body fluids, respiratory, and contaminated materials like a handrail for example. The disease was first discovered in a group of monkeys in 1953 getting the name, Monkeypox. Even though it is named Monkeypox the disease is extremely rare amongst monkeys but more common in small rodents. The first human case of Monkeypox was reported in 1970. Ever since then there has been a very small amount of cases reported in West Africa until recent events changed that. 

There is currently not a cure for the disease. It can last for 2-4 weeks. Doctors do recommend taking pain relief medicine and staying hydrated. The symptoms of Monkeypox include rashes that go through stages and look like pimples or blisters, that may be painful, fever, chills, exhaustion, headaches, muscle aches, and respiratory problems. Health officials say to be very cautious and to regularly wash our hands and pay attention to any signs of Monkeypox. If you are experiencing symptoms you are advised to social distance and see a doctor as soon as possible.

But what does this mean for you? Many are wondering if Monkeypox will “replace” COVID as another pandemic. Many health officials are saying that the situation is extremely unlikely but if it were to happen then people would be better prepared as this wouldn’t be the first time experiencing a crisis like this. Monkeypox is different from COVID-19 but it is raising awareness and causing concern. Considering we’ve been in a pandemic for the last two years, it is understandable how this situation may alarm people and put them on edge. Cases of Monkeypox are mainly being spread through people traveling, so if this situation continues expect there to be travel bans or restrictions.

The cases of Monkeypox may increase or decrease over time but that depends on a number of things such as how safe people are and what national and local authorities are doing to stop the spread.