Photo Credit: google images

Comedian Ricky Gervais Makes A Bold Statement

The Golden Globes are a popular forerunner to the Oscars. People worldwide tune in to see this year’s best movies win awards, but we always look forward to the opening speech. Some comedian is called upon to start off the night with some condescending jokes, but Ricky Gervais really took the world by surprise. 

Gervais started off the almost eight minute monologue with some condescending and crude jokes, but after five years in the Golden globes spotlight, he really let himself go. With rude comments about “Cats” along with direct jabs at audience members, Gervis received plenty of mixed reviews from stars. With brief glimpses at the audience, there was clear glances of shock, laughter and some appalled looks.

Some of the jokes receiving the most response were comments such as “Most films are awful. Lazy. Remakes, sequels,” and  “If ISIS started a streaming service you would all be calling your agents.” He really took his role as comedic to the next level. The jokes were endless and each one came with its own level of offence. It accomplished its job beautifully as the entire monologue was hilarious. It has become one of the most eye catching intros in Golden Globes history, but the crowning jewel was definitely his final statement. 

It is safe to assume that the constant political talk during winning speeches gets a little old. We don’t watch to hear political beliefs, we watch for entertainment. May I say, I was thoroughly entertained as Ricky Gervais looked the audience in the eyes and said, “So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and f*** off, OK? It’s already three hours long.”  I applauded this man from my living room. Finally, someone said what we have been waiting to hear. He also stated, and I paraphrase, celebrities don’t know anything about the world and the show is not the place for them to voice all of their political and societal complaints. 

Gervais gave one of the most politically incorrect and scathing speeches I have ever seen, but it completely fulfilled its purpose. It was funny, insulting and honest. Audiences couldn’t ask for anything better. I applaud you, Ricky Gervais. Thank you for reminding us that there is more to life than the debates of society. We are united through media, and the Golden Globes was created to celebrate the platform. We don’t have to take life so seriously.