Electronic Ban

April 6, 2017

Electronic+Ban

The Department of Homeland security released a new ban on electronics devices on flights coming from the Middle East and North Africa. Measures like this have not been taken since 9/11 back in 2001 when the Department of Homeland security began to require pat downs and full body scans before boarding a plane. The ban does not apply to medical electronics. However, it does apply to laptops, cameras, e-readers, tablets, printers, portable DVD players and certain gaming consoles. It does not apply to flights within the U.S., yet the ban only applies to ten major airlines from the Middle East and North Africa.

The same day the electronic ban went into effect in the U.S., it was also put into effect in the United Kingdom. The U.K. requires that carry-on electronics be no larger than 6.3 inches by 3.7 inches. American and British lawmakers say that they are trying to keep travelers safe from explosions and bomb threats.

“The U.S. administration will take decision about how they should best protect their citizens. We do not always have to take exactly the same decisions on behalf both of our countries. We have done what we think is right the United Kingdom,” Rene Marsh David Wilkinson and John Defterios said.

Checking personal electronics can also be a threat to cybersecurity for major corporations and it may infringe on corporate cybersecurity rules. Numerous companies and government agencies require workers to not share sensitive data.

Some major Middle Eastern airlines are using the ban for advertisements. The United Arab Emirates is using the slogan “Let us entertain you.”

Countless social media users say things to the effect of “the ban is unnecessary and annoying, but fair play to you, Emirates for this ad. Well done.”