Changing DNA Before Birth

April 4, 2017

Everyone wishes there was a way to make the world into a place where no babies are born with illnesses and diseases and now there is.  A postdoctoral scientist, Luhan Yang, started in a small biotechnology company she developed herself, and formulated a method to genetically engineer an infant’s entire strand of DNA, called CRISPR-Cas9. It is done by the stripping of bad genomes of pigs and different types of cattle then replacing them with new, disease-free strands. Now, an enormous barrier has been broken and we have begun using this new technology on human children. The first baby to go through biomedical engineering of their DNA has already been born. It was done by taking genomes from a third parent to replace a section of the original strand of DNA from the organism that begins a life cycle, but is it something the world should be excited about? Benefits have drastically exceeded the disadvantages: Yes, it is something we should be more than excited about.

With any technological breakthrough, there are advantages and drawbacks. The biggest fear that is turning a fraction of the population against this specific proposal is that people who are in excellent financial situations could take advantage of this beautiful opportunity and make the “perfect child” just for their own personal gain. There is also the chance that it could lower adoption rates and overpopulate the world. On the other hand, this life-changing, medical discovery could be the only way couples in the LGBTQ+ community could have a child directly related biologically to both sides of the relationship. Not only is it beneficial for gay couples who want to have children but it is also a new way to end the birth of diseased children. It could cure major diseases and disorders such as: cancer, autism, diabetes and even smaller, more minor birth defects. As stated before, an additional parent is needed to replace a part of the original DNA strand, but in specific cases it could replace DNA that would otherwise be infectious.

A big number of people could be against this. Some conservative and religious groups still oppose gay marriages and homosexual acts, let alone accepting the possibility of a gay couple having their own child. What if you were told you could not have a child just because of your sexuality or even your appearance?

There is no reason why gender, race, sexuality or age should have any key role in who can and cannot have a child and in what way they choose to do so. Our world is changing every single day and we all have to change with it. Everyone should have the option to have a child biologically related to them and genetically engineering DNA gives us the chance to make that happen.