Graphic+by+Victoria+Lewis+

Graphic by Victoria Lewis

Italian creates a flag for Huntsville

Recently a man from Italy known by his Reddit username Xaphedo has taken time to create a flag for the Rocket City. Even though he has never been to the Alabama town nonetheless the United States, his design fits the city of Huntsville distinctively. It features a blue star which is based off of the “star of Alabama” used as a logo for Huntsville a few years ago and a rocket which hints to the history of Huntsville’s space industry.

As space exploration is important to the city of Huntsville, it would only make sense that the flag would include a rocket. As major cities around the country and in Alabama have their own flags, it is important for Huntsville to join that group.

Why do we not just adopt the design and pay off the owner? It suits this city well and provides historical context with it. As much as we the people of Huntsville probably want this to happen, it probably will not and if it does, it may not be that soon. It would take a certain process to make this a reality, if the city of Huntsville agreed to adopting it as the official flag.

I feel we could implement more space-themed attractions around the city and redesign most of the cities signs with rocket ships pointing out directions as shown by one of Xaphedo’s designs. It would add that sense of passion to the people and tourists of the one and only Rocket City, Alabama.