Photo by Savannah Bullard

Parking lot problems still plague school

It is a long-debated issue: the student parking lot has cultivated more problems than perks in the past year. Yet, as the final semester of this year is underway, more conflict has arisen between student drivers, and something needs to be done about it.

One of the most infuriating parts of the parking lot is its sheer size. Because there has been over 700 parking decals sold and not nearly enough spots to equate to that accommodation, students struggle every morning to find a decent spot, even if they arrive as early as 8:10 in the morning. Students have been so bold as to “create” parking spots at the edge of lanes, causing all kinds of trouble to navigate through the lot. This problem rests on top of the fact that even though we are five months into the school year, there are still students — including sophomores — driving to school without having purchased a decal.

Another issue that has plagued the parking lot is the idea that some students are “too cool for the car rider line.” Students have been getting dropped off at the steps of the student parking lot doors for months now, avoiding the car rider line and forcing their parents to find their ways out of the lot without hitting other students pulling in. This is a major inconvenience for student drivers, who have to dodge bustling parents who are rushing to leave. And not only are students being dropped off by the doors, but at 3:30 each afternoon parents can be seen waiting in empty parking spots for their children to exit the building with the student drivers. It is extremely frustrating to try to get out of the parking lot in a timely manner when not only are we battling other students to leave, but disgruntled parents as well. Parents have had the audacity to shout at passing kids and tell people to move out of the way of their cars. It is not right for us to be patronized when we are not the ones breaking rules. Student drivers belong in their parking lot; not parents. And no matter who is instigating the disarray, it needs to be put to an end.

School is halfway over, people. Follow the rules or ride the bus.