Baltimore riots leaves student unsettled

Photo by: CNN.com

Photo by: CNN.com

By Aiesha Desarme, News Editor

Dear Protesters of Baltimore,
I was stunned to find my phone consumed by notifications about the destruction that is currently taking place within your home. The home in which you and your families currently reside . The home that holds countless young minds that will soon become the backbone of our country. The home in which you participated in burning down.

May I be so kind to ask what the hell you are doing?

Instead of bringing attention towards the racial issues at hand, you have taken crowbars and wrenched the doors of opportunity and safety off its hinges. You have created a fear greater than the one that is currently heavy on the shoulders of many. It is not the fear of dying from injuries sustained after arrest or being shot unarmed as an innocent that frighten the nation , but the burning down of homes and the safety that will be stripped from all residents as a result.

What are you going to say to the struggling father when he discovers his workplace to be no more than a pile of ashes? How will he pay his bills? What are you going to say to the senior citizens whose housing center you have burned down?

Instead of aiming for the extermination of police brutality and racial discrimination,you have raised hell within a place that is already facing an inferno of oppression. You throw burning trashcans, bottles and cinder blocks at the police and even go as far as hurting your neighbors who appear to “stand in your way” just to the police. You are so consumed by your own hatred for the brutality that is consistent in everyday life that you can no longer feel or see the pain and hope that is and always has been consistently fought for. You have become the animal of evil that has been fought for years to eliminate, you have become the fear that keeps children awake at night, and you have become the ten steps backward from the progression of your community.

I am disappointed and appalled at the behavior of all of you. I expected more from the ones who are leading the incoming generations. Is this the examples who wish to set for your children and their children to follow when someone has wronged them? Is this the way you would have us approach life? If not, then I suggest you make a proper examples of it.

Sincerely,
A distraught seventeen-year-old