Photo Credit: Courtesy of Katie Brewer

Student Explains Story Behind HOCO Date

Last week, SGA announced that the date for the homecoming dance will be Sept. 3 and the homecoming football game will be Sept. 9. After the announcement, conflicts rose between students about the date, some saying they do not know if they’re going and some not going at all. Due to the date being on Labor Day weekend and being announced at the beginning of August, students have claimed that there is not enough time to plan accordingly.

“The date just seems last minute to me,” junior Saniyah Wasi said. “I might go for the fun of it and to hang out with my friends but finding a dress in enough time is the problem.”

Some students like junior Kate Bullard have already bought their tickets and are currently making plans for the upcoming event. Bullard says despite the date, she is still excited to attend homecoming for another year.

“Going to homecoming is a major part of the high school experience,” Bullard said. “It’s an excuse to wear a pretty dress and fancy heels for a night.”

Katie Brewer, the first sponsor of SGA, chose Sept. 3 for the dance because of availability concerns within the Sparkman community. Brewer went through the selection of three different dates for the homecoming football game at the end of the last school year.

“Homecomings are planned months in advance,” Brewer said. “It takes a lot of coordination to plan large events, and this was the date that best fit everyone’s schedules.”

Brewer says that she and SGA have big plans for homecoming this year, focusing on the participation of the student body.

“My goal is to make homecoming as fun for the students as possible,” Brewer said. “I hope that with the dance and the week following, we see increased participation in school spirit activities as compared to last year.”