Photo Credit: Kameron Glenn

Class of 2021

Class of 2021 Discuss Impact of COVID-19

As students from all over the nation grapple with the new normal brought to fruition by COVID-19, there are few who contend with as much as this year’s seniors, the class of 2021. 

While the Coronavirus mangled the Class of 2020’s end-of-the-year plans, it looks like it may very well rob this year’s seniors of their entire year—the year that was supposed to kick off the start of their growing independence. But as the world around them struggles to regain its footing, plans for the future have been tossed into the air and many seniors are forced to try and salvage what plans they can.

COVID-19 has changed my academic plans dramatically,” senior Myles Gollop said. “I successfully applied for two summer scholarships and was excited to attend them. Both have been postponed to next year. I also had two college visits from last spring canceled.”

Not only has their academic plans changed remarkably, the search for work experience has been damaged. With unemployment rates skyrocketing and businesses all but halting, the search for jobs for students grows harder and harder as the year wears on. This can make it difficult to find experiences that will teach valuable skills and build impressive resumes.

“Getting a job has been the most difficult aspect,” senior Dominik Holloway said. “I don’t mind being stuck in the house, but I want to get away from it sometimes. I’ve applied to many places, but many cannot afford to hire new people at the moment.

The risk of losing the rites of passage that come with anyone’s senior year—the chance to dress up for prom, the long-awaited walk across the stage—looms over the heads of many. Combined with the change in plans in the near and far future, it can be a struggle to grapple with the unpredictability of it all.

“I hope COVID-19 doesn’t impact my future any more than it already has,” Gollop said. If there is another outbreak, I could lose my track season, prom and graduation.”

Previously, seniors were guaranteed the opportunity to attend homecoming, dances, prom and graduations, all while being able to balance their school work and the search for colleges. Now, the class of 2021 only has a tentative grasp on all of these, and it is quickly receding. While some say the reintegration of students to face-to-face learning gives them hope for the future of their goals and plans, others think it happened too soon.

I think the schools should’ve stayed virtual until at least the end of the first nine weeks,” Holloway said. “The reintegration was rushed and many schools in the county have already seen kids contract the virus. The reintegration has diminished my hope for a return to normalcy as it is only going to prolong the pandemic.”