Neal+Burch+stands+proud+after+receiving+his+ribbon+for+the+javelin+throw.+

Photo Credit: Cierra Carle

Neal Burch stands proud after receiving his ribbon for the javelin throw.

Special Olympics Provides Fun Day For Students

Special Olympics is somewhere students can go to compete, but it is also a day where students and adults can have fun. The event was held Tuesday, Oct. 22 at Milton Frank Stadium.

The Special Olympics started in 1968 by the Kennedy Foundation and the Chicago Park District. Some of the events include 100m race, javelin throw, 50m race, ball throw and long jump. This year student Neal Burch got second in the 100m race.

“The experience is something that is hard to explain, you have to be there to feel the vibe of joy and pure excitement of the athletes and the helpers,” senior Kalyb Jordan said.

The purpose of Special Olympics is to improve their health and well- being of people with intellectual disabilities. This gives special needs students and opportunity to express themselves among classmates and compete just like other students they see at school. Alabama Special Olympics had approximately 3,000 kids this year.

“The kids were all so, so happy. I didn’t turn my head and see one person not smiling. Everyone had huge smiles on their faces the whole time,” junior Cierra Carle said.

The many students that went this year accomplished so much and had lots of fun. The kids love the event and they have good attitudes about it and they like getting the ribbons.

“They did their very best and they had a good time. They enjoyed socializing with students from other districts,” teacher Chanda Haselman said.