One-Act Play to Premiere for Competition

Photo Credit: Google Images

With the start of a new school year comes new performances by extracurriculars of all kinds, specifically theatre. The theatre department will be performing a one-act play on Saturday, October 26 called ‘The 146 Point Flame.’

The story behind the show has a history dating back to the 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire in New York City. The play details specific lives of women in the workforce and other hard-hitting topics.

“I chose this show because its dramatic and I enjoy a lot of historical dramas similar to it,” theatre teacher Kristin Tumminello said. “It has a lot of meat to it and will give students a lot to sink their teeth into.”

The show will be free, however, the department is taking donations at the door. The money will go towards the theatre program. The show is in the cafeteria and desserts will be served.

“My favorite part about theatre is watching the show come together to create a piece of art,” senior Haley Nolan said. “I love working with friends and trying new things to really help make every show wonderful”

The show is going to a district competition called Trumbauer, in which three schools from the region will be chosen to go to the state competition. Last school year, the department did not make it to state, but they are hoping to change that this year. 

“Our major goal for this year for everyone involved in the program is to make it past that point and to get involved in state,” Tumminello said.

Auditions were held for the one-act in August, and since then, students have been working day in and out to bring the show together. Students in the program, including actors, have helped to build set pieces all while memorizing lines and rehearsing. 

“I’m most excited about going to the Trumbauer competition and spending the day with my friends and castmates,” junior Hannah Perry said. “The thing I love most about the experience is that everyone is so supportive and all of my best friends are in theatre.”