Students+in+Carla+Terrys+Spanish+I+class+explore+the+abstract+paintings+of+Frida+Kahalo+at+the+Frist+Museum+in+Nashville.+

Photo Credit: Carla Terry

Students in Carla Terry’s Spanish I class explore the abstract paintings of Frida Kahalo at the Frist Museum in Nashville.

Spanish Students Learn Outside of the Classroom

Students taking Spanish ditched the classroom for culture last week. 

Eighty six students loaded busses and headed to Nashville where they visited the Frist Art Museum to see an exhibit about Frida Kahlo. 

“We decided to take the students to this exhibit because the museum was offering an exhibit on Frida Kahlo and other great painters like Kahlo’s husband Diego Rivera,” Spanish teacher Carla Terry said. “This helped the students better understand not only Mexican culture but also the culture that comes with the artists paintings and other artwork.” 

The Frida Kahlo exhibit included a variety of Mexican painters, but was centered around Frida and her influence on art. Not only did teachers get to take advantage of a great learning opportunity, students experienced something that they could not in classrooms.

“As an artist myself this art exhibit has completely impacted the way I see art,” senior Jayln Hope said. 

Students especially liked the abstract paintings and sculptures that Kahlo and her husband created. Through the artwork and sculptures showed her mindset of positivity through the abstractness.

“I would go again to Frida’s exhibit because of all the learning and interesting work that was published at the museum,” Erin Pickens said.