Tradition Returns With Letterman Jackets

Letterman jackets are generally a tradition for every school, but here at Sparkman letterman jackets have not been a thing since the late ‘90s.

This year the administration has decided to start selling  letterman jackets again. Assistant principal Jason Watts talked to the athletes about this idea and most said they would want one. He asked them for ideas about the color scheme and design.

“The main reason we decided to bring back letterman jackets is that we had some parents come up at football games and ask if we could possibly order [them],” Watts said.

The representative from the jacket company will be con campus to sell the jackets during all the lunches on Nov. 15. He will be sizing and taking orders with a $100 deposit. The jackets can range from around $180-$320. There are several different options and combinations to personalize the jackets. The jackets have an individual design for their team or club but are still similar.

The purpose of letterman jackets is a kind of recognition for all the work students put into a sport, club or other activity. A student has to participate in an activity and be a contributing member to receive a letter or patch to add onto the jacket.

“Traditionally for the letterman jacket, the letter that goes on the jacket has to be earned. Just because you’re on the team does not mean you automatically get a letter,” Watts said.