Big things come in small packages

Maddie Wilkinson is a 7-year-old girl with a big dream and an even bigger heart.

In a childlike manner, Maddie started making sleeping bags for her dolls. Her mom, Kimberly, captured an image of Maddie sewing the bags and put it on Facebook.

“I put the image out there and jokingly said that she would make people some,” Kimberly said.

Joking aside, she immediately received several orders. Thus far, she has 72 orders and has made $435. At this time, she still has more orders to fulfill.

“I asked her what she was going to do with the money and she said she was going to donate $150 to Jump Rope for Heart and the other $350 to the Angel Tree,” Kimberly said.

After hearing what she was doing, her grandfather Ronald Grider, decided to match all the money that she will make with her project. After hearing what Maddie was doing, other people have made generous donations to the project.

Maddie sews each of the bags herself. It takes about 15-20 minutes. She sells them for $5.

“I just like to sew. I have completed 35 out of my 72 orders,” Maddie said.

Her mom has been her biggest supporter, teaching her how to sew and buying the needed materials.

“It makes me feel proud that I raised her to have a heart like that and to think about other people, not just herself,” Kimberly said.