The Crimson Crier

The Crimson Crier

The Crimson Crier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Former Student in Charge

Alumnae Finds Her Self teaching at The School She Attended
English+teacher+MaryAlyssa+Kummer+stands+in+front+of+her+class+giving+them+directions+for+an+assignment.+
Photo Credit: Jonathan Rozier
English teacher MaryAlyssa Kummer stands in front of her class giving them directions for an assignment.

Pouring back into your community is always important, especially when it comes to helping develop the younger generation. The Senators are lucky to have faculty that are willing to come back in and encourage students to blossom.

Mary Alyssa Kummer who graduated high school in 2017 and became a college graduate in 2022. Before teaching for the Senators she taught at Russellville Middle School. Kummer was a model and photographer for her high school as well as outside of that.

“Moving back to Madison and getting a job over here was always my end goal! When I saw the position was posted I had been thinking about moving back within the year. So, it all comes down to God’s timing,” Kummer said. “I prayed and had faith that when I was meant to move back it would all fall into place. Someone sent me the position when it opened and I applied and a few months later; I’m here. It all worked out for the best, and I am super happy to be back home.” 

Being a young teacher, Kummer can feel and relate well with her students having just left their shoes. 

“I can relate to students because it wasn’t so long ago I was in yall’s position. I also have a younger brother who went to SHS and I’m super close with him which gives me insight into what students go through nowadays. High school is hard on so many levels and I just hope I can meet my students where they are at and get them from Point A to Point B,” Kummer said.

The term “survival of the fittest” is used to describe how adaptation is key for life. Things change even while a student is in high school, let alone after they leave. Kummer is still learning the new way of alma mater and her views.

“A good bit has changed since I graduated in 2017, and it is a whole new perspective being on the teacher side of things. The administration and staff have changed a good bit, the metal detectors are a new addition, and the SHS spirit has changed,” Kummer said. “I encourage everyone to make the best of their time in high school. Have spirit at pep rallies and games because these are core memories.”