Photo Credit: Olivia Lake

Song Of The Week: Perfect Pair

My song of the week is “Perfect Pair” by Beabadoobee. The song begins with a simple guitar melody, instantly capturing any listener for the remainder of the running time. Listeners are then serenaded with the voice of Beatrice Laus, otherwise known as Beabadoobee. In the song, she sings of a failing relationship, and how staying in such a situation proves to be a form of self-harm. From the first lyric, “you ought to know that, I think we’re one and the same,” Laus establishes that the narrator (presumably Laus herself) believes she deserves this situation. Later, the lyrics convey more frankly the problems in the relationship, mainly communication, “We don’t talk much,” Laus sings. The lyrics throughout the song portray to the audience that the narrator is apathetic to this relationship and does not wish to leave, despite the problems. “I’m not quite sure we’d fix it, Guess we’re so used to it,” Laus says. 

My album of the week is “Please Be Nice” by Camping in Alaska. A local band, Camping in Alaska has an emo-punk style of music, which is reflected in their seminal work. The various songs speak to different topics that are often relatable, whether they be missing a past relationship or missing being younger. My personal favorite of the album is “c U In Da Ballpit,” a song that has lyrics that reflect being obsessed with someone, implying that this affection is not reciprocated. “Your face is burned in the back of my eyelids,” Vocalist Ben Cape sings. I enjoy the entirety of the record, but particularly this song, for the complex guitar arrangements. Immediately at the beginning of the album, it explodes with energy coming not just from the vocals, but also from the interesting and complicated ways in which the guitarist plays.