Revealing conspiracy theories

By Emily Baucum, Reporter

Conspiracy theories have been on this earth about as long as humans have. There are ancient ones and there are theories that were probably thought of just seconds ago. I put myself in Nancy Drew’s shoes and got down to the bottom of a few misconstrued theories.

Who Took Part In the Assassination of JFK?

Leisurely riding through Dallas in their open motorcade, President John F. Kennedy and Texas Governor John Connally never saw what was coming next. It is said that one person, Lee Harvey Oswald, shot President Kennedy from a window on the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository where he worked. It was also theorized that the supposed shooter had an accomplice, called the “grassy knoll,” because of the fact that evidence had not been published yet to prove that Oswald’s bullet could, in fact, hit President Kennedy and Governor Connally. It is clear to see that this was a one-man job by analyzing the picture captured by Betzner on site of the assassination. Betzner’s photo portrayed President Kennedy sitting in the back seat, which was positioned higher than Connally’s seat and slightly set off. Just as their wounds suggest that the bullet hit President Kennedy in the neck which continued further to penetrate Connally’s ribs and wrist. Research has shown that, yes, Oswald took part in JFK’s assassination, and there was no right hand man.

Roswell: Flying Saucer or Weather Balloon?

One day a rancher named William Brazel was minding his own when he noticed a peculiar kind of treasure. He then called his local sheriff, George Wilcox, and stated that there was a possibility he stumbled upon the remains of “one of them flyin’ saucers.” An investigator of the name Maj. Jessie Marcel was soon called in. Marcel and a few others took a look, and the public affairs office at Roswell soon announced that they had recovered remains of a “flying disc”. The incident sparked an interest up until Brig. Gen. Roger Ramey walked into the situation. After the “flying disc” was sent to Carswell Air Force Base and had gone through further examination, it was announced that all the hoopla was over nothing and the saucer was just a weather balloon. To this day, suspicions still remain that the “weather balloon” was not just a weather balloon, but that the it was a government cover up for a top-secret operation called Project Mogul. Project Mogul involved the use of constantly level balloon trains used to spy on the former Soviet Union to determine the status of Russian attempts to build nuclear weapons after World War II. The government is good at hiding secrets, so the answer may never be revealed, but evidence points to the remaining counterclaim that the mysterious flying saucer was actually a weather balloon.

Government Planned 9/11

It is easy to look one way or another when it comes to the 9/11 attacks. One either sees it as the government had some kind of backstory relating to the mishap, or it was completely planned and executed by terrorists with no government involvement. Dylan Avery created a video called “Loose Change” for a project when he was a senior at Oneonta High School. “Loose Change” was a homemade video on the conspiracy that there was prior knowledge of the 9/11 attacks. It was based completely off of altered photos, but a movie producer who believed in the conspiracy got a hold of it and fame took control of Avery. Russia and the U.S. were arch-enemies, so once Avery put some fuel on the potential fire, all Russia had to do was light the match. Previous KGB Major Vasili Mitrokhin revealed that many of the high-profile conspiracies circulating within the United States, such as the ones about 9/11, were actually Russian propaganda, meant to destabilize and create disharmony amongst the people. So that is what Russia proceeded to do, feed gullible Americans with juicy lies to spark interest and create uproar.

CIA Created AIDS

Feeling outcasted from society, homosexuals and drug users jumped straight to conclusions once AIDS was recognized in 1983. Some supported the belief that the disease had been deliberately manufactured for the sole purpose of ridding society of particular “undesirables”. AIDS is transmitted through infected bodily fluids entering the bloodstream, and the main contributors are sexual contact or contaminated needles. These two causes are the reason homosexuals and drug users contract AIDS more than other demographics. Thus was born the conspiracy theory that the CIA engineered the deadly disease for their own benefit. It was soon obvious that this was not the case because it is agreed upon by most scientists that AIDS had actually jumped the species barrier between chimpanzees and humans.