Student highlights top springtime qualities

By Riley Wallace, Editor-in-Chief

March 22 will be the first day of spring break for the Madison County school system, a week-long reprieve from early mornings, everyday classwork and parking lot traffic. As per usual, anticipation is buzzing through the hallways, but what is it about seven days without school that has us so excited?

Catching Up

Whether spending the short break on the beach, in the mountains or at home, almost everyone is looking forward to catching a few winks more than a stressful school schedule can support. For a few days, the circadian rhythm will rule, and maybe, just maybe, we will make our doctors proud with 7 hours a night. Getting up at 6 a.m.? Maybe try noon.

The Cinema Scene

With films like Divergent and Noah coming to the big screen during the break, splurging on a (matinee) movie ticket might not seem too bad. And even if those do not satiate the need (for speed, anyone?), it may be time to catch up on all those movies we have missed out on over the past few weeks. Currently at the theater? The Lego Movie, Veronica Mars, Nonstop, Monuments Men, Son of God and the 300 sequel.

Getting Out

With few breaks since early January (not counting those inspired by inclement weather), families and friends will thankfully take this week-long break for that much-needed vacation. Popular destinations this year are the same as they have been since the beginning of time: south to the beach or north to the mountains. Others may opt to take this time to scope out college campuses in full swing or to visit family they may not see often. Whatever the destination, though, please let us know if getting there is really half the fun.

The Art of Chilling Out

Netflix. Take-out. Netflix. Snapchat. Netflix. Naptime. Netflix. Instagram. Netflix. Reading. Netflix. Pinterest. Netflix. Taking a drive. Netflix. Potato chips. Netflix.

How many seasons of Breaking Bad are there again? Five? It stands to reason that there is no place like home as long as the Wi-Fi holds out.

Real and Actual Spring

Situated at the tail-end of March, this year’s spring break falls late enough to enjoy a balmy average of 65 degrees and a 7:00 sunset, but early enough to avoid any “April showers” that might be in store for us. While it may not be swimming weather, it is pleasant enough for hiking, taking a walk through the Huntsville Botanical Gardens or riding bikes at Indian Creek Greenway. With any luck, it ifs goodbye long sleeves from here on out.

What It Means

Spring break is to the school year as Thursday is to the school week. With only 58 days left until graduation when we return on the April 1, it is no surprise that the student body is excited for spring break this year, looking forward to going to prom, walking across the stage and ultimately getting out for summer. Sure, the exams will come, but the bright side here is, as always, very tempting.