Trump’s Withdrawal of Title IX Stirs nationwide Controversy

From the start of Trump’s presidency, numerous controversies surrounding him and his administration have been the top conversations of today’s politics.

The Obama administration gave way for Title IX to protect the rights of transgender students at public schools in bathrooms. Because of this, almost half of the states in the nation have sued over this controversy. However, Trump has recently withdrawn that protection on Feb.22 and he gave the power to states over the transgender and bathroom issues.

Republicans generally favor local control and allowing states to pass rights so Trump’s new order fits right in with their ideals. But the term “state’s rights” have often been characterized as critical due to the fact that was exactly Jim Crow laws were. Fear is stirring up around the country for the transgender community and there have been speculations that potential harm will bestow unto them.

Evan Kachel, a junior who is a transgender, has been through tough experiences when using the bathroom. Fortunately, he has had people that looked out for him when trouble could possibly come his way.

“One time I spilled sprite all over my pants and the [ teacher and nurses bathrooms] they wanted me to use didn’t have any blow dryers. I felt more comfortable going into the males so in between classes I tried to dry my pants. I had the principle pull me out of class and tell me if I did that again I’d be sent home. I got their perspective, that I could possibly be hurt in one of them because high schooler aren’t always mature. But it still sucked. I’m blessed to have never experienced intense bullying,” Kachel said.

He believes that the children should have protection from wrongful laws and unjust rights that may harm them.

“States have rights to decide certain things. However, children should have rights and protection against harm. States in the south are far from having anti-discrimination policies, and I think the guidelines in that law did help some,” Kachel said.

He finds certain complications with Trump’s new order . As a transgender student, he understands what it feels like to face discrimination.

“For me, it’s really hard to pinpoint my exact feelings on the repeal because I’m pretty objective on transgender issues,” Kachel said. “I can understand how it could feel like discrimination and it could feel pretty bad because most transgender people just want to be normal.”

He finds that a lot of people get the wrong idea of transgender students and because of their refusal to understand, they may cause harm because of the potential of loss protection. Unfortunately, many more transgender students around the nation are scared of the outcome from Trump’s order.
Many critics are finding his decision to support state’s rights to discriminate against transgender kids as cruel and brutal. Others feel like this is Trump’s way of ignoring the problem about legalizing marijuana. Whatever the reason, this is a national issue that is storming up the country. Sooner or later, granting the power to states to decide on the bathroom issue is going to take a great impact on the days to come.