Veteran Bus Driver Shares Her Dedication To Her Job

Photo Credit: Tess Warren

October 17, 2022

The bus may deliver students to and from school, but the bus driver makes the ride what it is. Driver Kat McFarland exemplifies all of the amazing qualities of a great bus driver as she continuously impacts lives.

McFarland began driving the bus over 21 years ago. She decided to become a bus driver so she could have a job that would allow her to balance being a full-time mom, as well as give her something exciting and interesting to do. 

“I got the chance to be a full-time momma to my kids, which was a huge priority for me,” McFarland said. “It’s fun. I love my job. I like driving and I really like seeing the kids happy and watching them have fun.”

McFarland shows this passion for her job and her students by how she goes above and beyond just driving her daily routes. She drives the bus for many field trips including every photography club field trip.

“I met Kat in the mid-2000s. I think around 2008,” photography teacher Eric Mittman said. “She’s the only driver I use now. We’ve gone on so many trips together. We’ve been everywhere within a 100-mile radius of Harvest. We’ve been to mountains, canyons, big cities, small cities, museums, fairs, festivals, zoos, aquariums, photo studios, racetracks, airports, and it just goes on and on. These trips couldn’t happen without her.  She’s willing to take our kids on trips that last from 5:30 in the morning to 10 at night.  And we go to 5 or 6 locations each trip.  She’ll go anywhere and everywhere, she is genuinely the best travel partner.”

While not a requirement of the job, McFarland chooses to drive for these field trips so students go places where they can have meaningful experiences that they could not have otherwise. By driving for field trips she opens countless doors, and helps students create countless memories. She believes in the importance of students being able to have these chances.

“I get to go on lots of field trips, and see lots of super cool places,” McFarland said. “I’ve gotten to go on a lot of photo field trips. They go to a lot of amazing places. My favorite part of the trips is when they get back on and have super excited faces. It’s so cool watching them.”

McFarland uses her drives, both on field trips and regular school days, as an opportunity to be a light in the days of those around her. Students and faculty look forward to her driving them due to her joyful nature and genuinely kind soul. 

“When Kat drives, we always have great adventures,” Mittman said. “Outgoing, down-to-earth, willing to help out in any way at any time. She has the best sense of humor and an amazing rapport with the kids. Look up ‘genuine, good, decent, helpful person in the dictionary and you’ll find her picture.”

“I had her as a field trip driver,” senior Alyssa Miller said. “She was so sweet. She was really flexible, letting us make an impromptu stop. You could tell she genuinely wanted to be there and actually cared about us. Without her, we couldn’t have taken our trip and seen some of the coolest sights.”

McFarland takes her job seriously, knowing the importance of delivering her students in a safe and timely manner. McFarland is excellent at getting her students to their destination in a timely manner, as well as safely. She makes sure to ensure that her bus is a safe environment both physically and emotionally. 

“I have the expectations of common respect and common knowledge,” McFarland said. “I expect my students to sit down and behave, so I can focus as well as make other kids feel comfortable.  I believe that everyone should use common decency and good behavior, so everyone can have a pleasant ride.”

McFarland continues to dedicate herself to helping students, even in difficult times such as the pandemic or teacher shortage. She chooses to focus on the many positive moments and the necessity of her job instead. 

“People are tough sometimes. Parents and students both,” McFarland said. “One time I even got cussed at by a kindergartener. But to me it is fun. It’s what you make of it. You can make it bad or you can make it good.”

McFarland goes above the obligations of her job, which allows her to get more enjoyment out of them. She chooses to make her rides fun for herself and her students. 

“Any job can be good or bad, it’s what you put into it. I love my job. I wouldn’t be here otherwise,” McFarland said. “I’m truly thankful for what it has allowed me to do.”