Photo Credit: Kameron Glenn

Any Attempt at a Prom Will Be Good for Seniors

When you imagine prom, you see students dancing, laughing, and having fun all night long, but COVID has taken that away. No longer will students have the freedom to dance and be close to one another, but instead be masked up six-feet apart.

Instead of the normal dancing and entertainment at prom; students will instead enter the gym, watch a senior slideshow, then lead out, then hear the announcement of prom king, queen, prince and princess. To this extent of change, is it even worth having a prom?

As a junior, it would not be a big deal if prom was cancelled because we have next year to try and have a ‘normal’ prom, but for seniors, this is their last chance. For many, this may be the only chance they have to go to prom, due to the unplanned event of COVID that took out the possibility of prom last year. With this, students should be allowed to have the experience of a normal prom. This should include dancing, being close to your friends, and having music.

The prom will happen in Gym One on campus. Students will still dress in formal prom attire, to make the experience close to a normal prom as possible. Due to these changes the name of the prom will be ‘Prom-ish”. The theme of the prom is the roaring twenties. The prom is scheduled for May 8, from 4-5 p.m. Tickets can be bought online, and will most likely be free of charge for those attending.

Even with all of these abnormal changes to prom, it should still happen. Students have been through enough trouble in the past year and at least have a glimpse at hope at returning to normalcy in the future.