Sophomore+Tommy+King+shows+off+a+brain.+Something+that+he+uses+as+a+music+prodigy.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Uses Music To Connect To Dad

Sophomore Tommy King shows off a brain. Something that he uses as a music prodigy.

Courtesy of Tommy King

Courtesy of Tommy King

Courtesy of Tommy King

Sophomore Uses Music To Connect To Dad

January 17, 2019

Sophomore Tommy King loves to make music an important part of his life. He enjoys playing three instruments, the ukulele, guitar and the piano and he enjoys writing his own music.

“I like the guitar because it’s what my my dad plays, so I’ve been playing that the longest.” King

said.

For some, music is not just to be listened to, but also made. For King, the creativity and art of making music is what intrigues him the most.

“I like the way all the parts work together. You could start with something really simple and you just add a couple things to it and it becomes this whole big thing,” King said.

King first took interest in music because of his father. Watching his dad play different instruments and doing different things with his talent made him want to learn it himself.

“My dad plays music for our church and I always thought it was really cool,” King said.

King and his father get together at times and play different music and he gets the chance to learn from him.

“He’ll teach me some new chords and we’ll go over and write songs together,” King said

Music and creating it is what connects King and his father. They use it as an outlet and to bond with each other.

“Growing up we’d listen to a lot of music together and he showed me a lot of old bands that he likes,” King said, “and now I’m showing him a lot of new artists that I like. I feel it’s just a really intricate part of our relationship.”