Coleman Talks College Football

Starting with a bang. The inaugural week of the 2022-23 college football season leaves fans with a lot to reflect on and look forward to for the rest of the season.

College football is known for its dramatic moments and improbable upsets and week 1 did not disappoint. These aspects were captured perfectly in the Florida Gators’ 29-26 upset of the #7 Utah Utes. The Gators were led by quarterback Anthony Richardson who totaled 274 all-purpose yards in Florida’s week 1 victory.

Another game that captured the attention of college football fans was the back-and-forth game between the Florida State Seminoles and the LSU Tigers on Sunday night.  This game was highly contested and came down to the final drive with LSU needing a touchdown to tie the game and send it to overtime. A two-yard touchdown pass from LSU’s quarterback Jayden Daniels had seemed to set up the need for overtime in New Orleans until Damian Ramos’ extra point attempt was blocked by Florida State defensive back Shyheim Brown, who sealed the nervy victory for the Seminoles. This victory gives Florida State its first 2-0 start to a season since 2016.

Top 3 Games to Watch for Week 2

• #20 Kentucky Wildcats @ #12 Florida Gators

The Wildcats travel to the swamp off of their week 1 victory over Miami OH hoping to defeat their conference opponents and continue their perfect start to the season. The #12 ranked Gators aim to end these hopes and ride the momentum from their opening week upset over Utah and challenge for the top spot at the SEC East standings. 

• #9 Baylor Bears @ #21 BYU Cougars

Reigning Big 12 champion Baylor Bears travel to LaVell Edwards Stadium to face the #21 BYU Cougars. Both teams enter this game 1-0 expecting their first challenge of the respective teams’ big wins to open the year. The game will be held at 9:15 PM CT on ESPN with Baylor seen as the favorite to win. 

• #17 Pittsburgh Panthers vs. #24 Tennessee Volunteers

Reigning ACC champion Pittsburgh Panthers welcome their only SEC opponent of the year in the form of the #24 ranked Tennessee Volunteers with hopes to repeat their success from the 2021 season. The Volunteers enter this season with high expectations and aim to rise to the occasion against the Panthers to cement themselves as contenders in the SEC East.