The+girls+cross+country+team+take+a+break+at+the+James+Clemens+Invitational.+The+team+was+supposed+to+be+honored+at+their+annual+banquet+in+November.+

Photo Credit: Kate Irving

The girls cross country team take a break at the James Clemens Invitational. The team was supposed to be honored at their annual banquet in November.

Cross Country Team Postpones Annual Banquet

The Cross Country team had ended their season and prepared for a banquet of recognition on Nov. 19 however, with the COVID- 19 pandemic cases increasing, it was decided it would be best to postpone the banquet and move it to the spring.

Many have felt disappointed on the matter including Allen Poole, assistant coach of the cross country team, who has shared his opinion on the circumstance.

“I felt truly disappointed for the kids who had trained and competed so hard during the CC season and would not be able to have a banquet to close out the season,” Poole said.

Certain rules must be followed to decrease the number of Covid- 19 cases. With this said, the SHS Administration thought it best to move the date of the banquet to the spring.

“The pre-existence and danger of the COVID-19  Pandemic caused the banquet cancelation and based on that, the SHS administration didn’t want students congregating in big crowds,” Poole said. “The Coach Staff and the athlete’s received the news/cancelation as disappointing news.”

Freshman and cross country runner, Sam Menikheim, expresses her reasons for attending the cross country banquet and what it truly means to her.

“Usually, they give out rewards like senior rewards and MVP, and then we’ll eat an amazing dinner.  This gives runners and coaches a chance to be recognized or recognize others.  It really gives an amazing end to the year,” Menikheim said.

Even though Menikheim understands the reason for the postponement, she still feels upset about the situation since she had prepared for this moment just to have it moved to the spring.

“I realize that it was for the safety of the runners and their families, but I was really annoyed,” Menikheim said. “One of my college friends was in town and I was really excited they got to come, but it got postponed instead.”

The year has been different from previous years and many have had a more difficult time keeping their minds focused on what is important. Advice for upcoming runners has significantly been needed this time of year, so Poole shares his input on how he sees we should handle the situation.

“Yes, due to the current danger and risk associated with the Pandemic, and the fact that our numbers are still increasing, plan on dealing with changes,” Poole said. “But please trust in God and stay encouraged that we will get through this and have a successful outdoor Track and Field season. Continue training and stay focused on your events so you will be prepared when the time comes.”