Baseball+players+Brendan+Vatz%2C+Cooper+Posey+and+Tucker+Burns+help+Legacy+students+draw+a+picture+after+reading+them+a+book.+

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Jason Brewer

Baseball players Brendan Vatz, Cooper Posey and Tucker Burns help Legacy students draw a picture after reading them a book.

Baseball Team Shares Love of Reading With Legacy Elementary Students

Q: What inspired you to go and read to the kids?

Coach Brewer: The overall initiative we’re trying to get back to the community and help out where they want us or need us. You know just get out there and help the future.

Q: What book(s) did you read to the kids?

A:Me per say didn’t ready any of the books. We let our guys handle that so that their hands on with the kids. That’s who we want to be hands on. The amount of books being read is unbelievable.

Q: Were the children picking out the books?

A: Legacy had it divided up where there were particular themes throughout the school. You had various topics going at different wings of the school. So there was no particular book being read. They let the kids choose what they wanted to read and do hands on projects with the book that was read. It was very well thought out and organized.

Q: Do you plan on reading to any other schools?

A: Absolutely. We’re in the process of trying to get in Harvest, Cross Roads, Endeavor and Monrovia. We are just getting our name out there. If all goes along and things start to settle themselves down in our training format, we can get out and send our seniors especially. We’ve reached out to them and it just takes a lot of time and planning because kindergarten, first and second grade teachers have their own time frame that they work in so we want to make sure we don’t disrupt what they are already doing.

Q: Do you think the kids enjoyed doing this?

A: Seeing our guys around in there Sparkman gear and hands on with them, caused a lot of interaction and smiles. That’s the positive thing behind it. We like to see them come out to the stands in the spring. So we really want to push it and make it an all the time initiative.

Q: Why did you choose that age group? 

A: My son is in second grade and I’ve got a 3 year old at home as well. It’s always a fun age when you see the light bulb go off. My kids are fortunate, they’ve grown up around these guys and have been around them a lot. It brings a sense of pride with it and so I know a lot of other kids in the community don’t have what my boys have so I just want to share that and get that out there.