Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Share The Pros And Cons Of College Athletes Getting Paid

Photo Courtesy of Creativecommons.org

Photo Courtesy of Creativecommons.org

Photo Courtesy of Creativecommons.org

Photo Courtesy of Creativecommons.org

March 6, 2019

The Bright Side

The lights stare down at the college team, every person in the stadium jubilant and rejoicing over the close win over the rival team. The college team travels home with everyone celebrating but avoiding the elephant in the room.

Only two percent of college athletes go one step further in the sport that they love. That means only that two percent get rewarded to do what they love. Furthermore, players that do end up going pro likely get cut before the player can even do what they were drafted to do.

However, the players that end up having a decently long career go from making millions to absolutely no income in a matter of months. According to Sports Illustrated, about 78 percent of NFL players go broke or have financial struggles about two years after retiring. This is because most NFL players get used to making more than enough money and usually do not save money after they retire.

The NCAA has rules against paying student-athletes; yet, paying these athletes, even a modest amount of money will teach them financial literacy and will prepare them for the world after college.

The NCAA makes over one billion dollars on just the March Madness tournament alone and spends a modest 44.7 million dollars on basketball scholarships. The NCAA sends about 506 million to the non-revenue schools and keeps the rest of the money. That leaves about 494 million that could go straight to the athletes, yet the NCAA keeps it.

The player usually wakes up at five in the morning and practices until about nine o’clock in the morning. They go to class until two in the afternoon and watch game film before practicing until 6 o’clock in the night. They eat then study until about midnight and repeat the process over the next day.

The schedule that a college athlete faces makes an athlete have little to no time to even socialize, let alone have a job. For example, the head recruiting coach for NCSA Zak Willis guides ncsassports.org through the daily life of a D1 football player.

The college athletes that we enjoy watching on the weekends never receive a single dime for their hard work and end up broke after a couple of years of retiring from sports, even if they go pro.

The Flip Side

The main source of many topics when it comes to sports can often boil down to who the best team is, the best player and other aspect of the cogs that fuel the game, but when looking at the controversy surrounded around paying college athletes for their services in their schools program, opinions from millions of people vary drastically with different viewpoints.

Even though these athletes play their hearts out every week for a chance to win and get paid to play the game in the future, they should not get paid for it right now. One of the key motives for a large percentage of the players, across every sport, is the drive to be good enough to make money at what they are best at, though paying them in college would remove a sense of motivation within certain college talents who do not have a guaranteed future in the business.

Outside of the players themselves, paying the athletes would be extremely problematic for the coaching staff as a whole. All branches of the coaches, from the scout up the head coach, push their players every day to be better for the greater of the team and to give each member of the team the best possible future but paying the athletes would take away the determination of guys who are okay with being just good enough.

For top college stars the situation gets trickier, as they have an almost guaranteed future in the professional league. Even though with an almost certain professional athletic career ahead of them, these top stars still face adversity due to constant rumors about being paid under the table money to join a program.

Passing the ability to pay their players would protect some bigger names and schools alike from legal trouble but could ultimately cost both the player and the school in the long run. In the case of the school, the budget will be transitioned into a tighter spending system to fund their athletes which could spell trouble for smaller school’s attempting to attract big name high school stars.

For the students, they play for their education and when a player under a scholarship gets hurt they typically can keep the grants for their school but if a member of the program gets injured while getting payed to play, assuming they do not return regain their athletic ability fully, the program would have the option to not add the player to their roster next year, resulting in not getting paid to play anymore, no scholarship for their school and most of all an unstable financial situation for young adults.

An even bigger issue that could arise from the athletes standpoint however it could also cause a troublesome predicament. College athletes are essentially paid in scholarships and the chance to go to big schools and get a top education for free but introducing the method of paying athletes, less knowledgeable students could choose pay for a season, with no guarantee of making the professional stage or even making the college roster for next year, over getting their education for free.